1950 Followers
katiebabs

Katiebabs Library of Books

Review: Foxcatcher

Foxcatcher: The True Story of My Brother's Murder, John du Pont's Madness, and the Quest for Olympic Gold - Mark Schultz, David Thomas

The reason I read Foxcatcher is because of the movie based on this book. I'm not sure if this was ghostwritten or not, but it's from the first person POV of Mark, the brother of Dave was who murdered by John Du Pont, an eccentric millionaire with dreams of being a wrestler, but never came to pass. Mark and Dave are Olympic wrestling brothers. The beginning is very engaging as Mark explains his childhood with Dave. You can feel the love Mark has for Dave, and how his brother's death still haunts Mark because of the guilt he has for letting Dave work with Du Pont, who is insane (based on the examples and actions of Du Pont that Mark points out). Unfortunately, 50 pages in, Foxcatcher becomes very dull. It's mainly all about wrestling and how Mark trained for her meets, including the ones he won and the Olympics. The wrestling terms bored me to tears, and Mark loves to talk about himself and wanting to be a champion, which he counteracts with his fears and loses. I wanted to know more about Dave and the situation of how Mark worked for Du Pont and then how Dave did, which leads to Du Pont shooting him in cold blood for no reason. We get some insight but Mark always circles it back to himself.

We get a small taste or snippets throughout about Du Pont, but it doesn't really lead anywhere until the last few chapters that come across as more skimming. I wanted more insight on who Du Pont was, and not just based from Mark's experiences. The trials is barely mentioned, and I was left with a remote, unemotional response to what I read. I wanted to hurt with Mark over the lose of his beloved brother Dave, but I never got a good indication of who Dave really was. The book was mainly all about Mark and his feelings and thoughts. I wanted more second hand information from those who knew Mark and Du Pont. There was more more telling than showing, which makes this a weakly written book.

I've read much better mystery/crime non-fiction. Foxcatcher wasn't engaging at all, and you would do better with reading newspaper articles on this case to get a good idea of what happened.

A pass.