katiebabs

Katiebabs Library of Books

Review: King of Hearts by L.H. Cosway

Welcome to the City, London’s most prestigious square mile, where finance reigns and Oliver King is a rising prince.

I used to rule the world.

There might be wolves on Wall Street, but there were crocodiles in Canary Wharf. Some of us craved money. Some of us craved power.

I liked money, and power had its advantages, but what I really wanted was to excel, to surpass the men who came before me. I never cared much for love and romance until I met Alexis.

I could feel it the very moment she walked into the interview, with her outspoken charm and vivacious personality. She cast all the others in shadow, made me laugh when life held no humour. Our friendship should have remained professional, but it wasn’t long before the lines started to blur.

You know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men? Well, I never foresaw where my plans would lead, and only in my darkest hour did I finally see the light…

You can have all the money and prestige in the world and still be the poorest man alive.

And love, well, I hate to use a tired old cliché, but love can be the thing that truly sets you free

I’m a hardcore L.H. Cosway fan girl, and her Hearts series really shows L.H. at her writing best. King of Hearts is a book set in the past, about a man in the future, who has been destroyed by alcohol addiction, and the consequences of those actions that made him become a shell of a man. It takes the woman from his past, his one true love, to save him from himself, and give them the HEA they both deserve. If you’ve read the first 2 books in this series, and adored the heroes of Jay and Jack, you will also love Oliver King.

King is a secondary character in Hearts of Fire. He’s portrayed as a surly drunk whose sister runs the circus he travels with. I really thought King was some fifty plus year old man, and was surprised when L.H. announced she was writing his story. King is isn’t some old, worn out alcoholic. We find this out in King of Hearts, which takes place six years prior to Hearts of Fire. It’s from the POV of the heroine, Alexis, who works for King as one of his personal assistants. King is a very rich CEO type who works in finance. She impressed him during her interview for the job. Alexis comes from a blur collar type of family, and has very little professional experience, but she’s a hard worker. She’s very cheeky and forthright (very different from Cosway’s past heroines). Whereas King is surrounded by “yes men” who don’t question or speak up, Alexis the exact opposite. Because she speaks her mind to King, he comes to rely on her. When he catches her eating her lunch in his huge bathroom next to his office, he doesn’t get upset. He invites her to play chess, and gets to know her, going as far to ask her for business advice. They develop a relationship that goes beyond employer and employee. Both are very attracted to one another, but Alexis values her job and doesn’t want to ruin it by having an affair with her boss. But King is very persistent.

King is best at his job and in his professional life, but his personal life is a mess. His mother, who was once this world renowned piano player, has become agoraphobic and doesn’t leave her house. King is very dedicated to his mother. As for his father, he’s a nasty fellow; a very bad man King doesn’t associate with. The same goes for his older half-sister who pops up at his office whenever she wants. Alexis also notices King likes to drink too much, which concerns her. But King convinces her he can handle his drink, and anything else that comes his way, until something horrible happens. His life unravels, and he runs away, leaving Alexis and everything else behind.

What happens to King in those 6 years is a mystery to Alexis until she gets a letter from someone telling her where King is. Now she has to decide if she wants to see him again, and also reveal some surprises she has herself, not knowing how he’ll react.

King of Hearts is everything a fan of L.H. Cosway would want. We have a pip of a heroine, who actually takes center stage more so than the hero for a change. Oliver is a very worthy hero- sexy, sweet, great in bed, but he doesn’t shine bright as Alexis does. He’s actually the catalyst to help Alexis find her way in life and to make her dreams a reality. Their reunion is emotional and touching. King’s problems with alcohol isn’t glossed over or suddenly solved just because of Alexis.

There was a real sense of the importance of family here. It’s show with King and his mother, Alexis with King’s mother, including her own family. We see how Jay and Jack, including their mates all support King, even though they’re not related by blood. This gave me major happy feels.

King of Hearts is an example how the power of love can save someone from the brink of despair. Another winner from Cosway.