1903 Followers

Katiebabs Library of Books

Review: After You

— feeling angry
After You - Jojo Moyes

Me Before You by Jo Jo Moyes was an incredibly moving experience as I read. It’s the type of book then ends perfectly and doesn’t need a sequel, even with the Nicholas Sparks type ending. When I heard Jojo wrote a sequel with the continuing adventures of Louisa, I groaned. I should have acted like After You didn’t existed. I’m kicking myself because I read it. This is a sequel that should have never been written. It’s an insult to Will’s memory and makes me pity Louisa because she deserves so much more than this drivel Jojo created for her.

The point of Me Before You was for Louisa is embrace life and live it to the fullest. That was Will’s legacy for her. He made sure she was comfortable by leaving her money so she could travel, go to school or do whatever she had to in order to be happy. That doesn’t happen. After You is almost two years after the events of Me Before You. Louisa is worst off than ever, a pitiful sad sack of a woman who really has no initiative or energy for anything because she’s still mourning Will.

Everything that happens to Louisa in this book is manipulative in order to get an emotional response from the reader. Louisa falls off the roof of her building, meets the daughter Will never knew he had, and drifts through her life with no direction. Even the new romance she has is weak. This entire story is weak and sad. It felt like someone else wrote it.

After You is my most disappointing read of 2015. WTF was Jojo thinking?