katiebabs

Katiebabs Library of Books

Review: The Nanny with the Skull Tattoos

— feeling sure
The Nanny with the Skull Tattoos - Elizabeth Barone

The Nanny with the Skull Tattoos by Elizabeth Barone became a DNF 50 pages in because of the spoiled brat, millennial slacker personality of the hero, Max. If a hero has no redeeming qualities from the starts, which continues throughout the story, then that book isn’t for me. When I read, specifically a romance, I want to enjoy the characters, which means the hero and heroine. Unfortunately here that doesn’t happen, and you may end up rolling your eyes more than once because of Max’s immature actions.

Max works in a music store and makes music for hours on end while living with his parents. He’s a single father of a 2 year old, who annoys him while he’s making his music. He expects his retired mother to wait on him hand and foot, and watch his daughter everyday straight through without complaint. One day his mother says he has to move out because she wants to use his room as an office to start her own business she has dreamed of doing forever. Max is insulted his mother would throw him out and dare to make her dream a reality because she’s just too old now to do so. Max begs his siblings to take him and his daughter in, and they refuse. Max fed up, moves to an apartment with his daughter, and will need a nanny regardless of having no real money to pay for his own place or keep a nanny (even though he’ll work extra hours at the music store, which I assume is around minimum wage).

When Max meets the one person who applies for the nanny job, he’s disgusted because her arms are tattooed. She also drives a better car than him, which insults him even more because he wonders if she deals drugs. From this scenario I DNFed this book.

Introducing your main protagonist as a spoiled whiner who acts more like a stoner with no real responsibilities, and expects Mommy and Daddy to take care of him make me close this book and want to re-listen to TLC’s No Scrubs a few times