1903 Followers
katiebabs

Katiebabs Library of Books

Review: The All-Star Antes Up

The All-Star Antes Up (Wager of Hearts) - Nancy Herkness

Nancy Herkness really knows how to write a great contemporary romance featuring a millionaire hero and the hard working heroine. This trope has been used time and again in romance novels, but with The All-Star Antes Up (Wager of the Heart #2), it’s fresh, original and engaging.

The Wager of Hearts series features three rich men who make a bet. Unless they all find love with that special woman within a year’s time, they will lose something materialistic they hold near and dear to them, plus give a very large amount to a charity. The All-Star Antes Up is Luke’s story. He’s a big time NFL quarterback and a self made millionaire who thinks his days are numbed playing football. He lives and breathes football, but also has good financial sense. He thinks his family only admires him for his sports skills and not his intelligence, unlike his brother Trevor, who is very smart. Trevor is staying with Luke while he finds a job as a professor at one of the prestigious colleges surrounding NYC. But Trevor isn’t an ideal roommate. He’s become rude, cranky and almost cheats on his wife by asking for an escort via the concierge in Luke’s building. Because of that illegal request, Luke meets Miranda.

The All-Star Antes Up kept me riveted from beginning to end. I love this type of story, and the setup. The chemistry between Miranda and Luke is great, especially the first love scene. Luke puts his home gym to good use, and WOW, what a scorcher! I also loved how normal and just plain nice these two are, especially when Luke tries to help Trevor, who is in a downward spiral.

There are some misunderstandings and drama that arises to bring about a great HEA for Miranda and Luke. Finding out what Luke was willing to give up to find a forever love with a woman was a nice wink wink reveal.

The All-Star Antes Up impressed me so much that it’s one of the first book I’ve read for 2016 that gave me the warm fuzzies and will probably go down as one of my favorite of this year.