katiebabs

Katiebabs Library of Books

Review: Reclaiming the Sand

Reclaiming the Sand - A. Meredith Walters

Reclaiming the Sand by A. Meredith Walters is a tear-jerker. This story about a young woman who used to bully a man with aspergers syndrome when they were in high school shouldn’t have worked for me as a reader because I thought I would have to suspend my disbelief big time. How in the world could this author make such an angry young woman and her fragile relationship with what some would say a damaged man work so well, including writing a believable romance? Meredith did it with Reclaiming the Sand. This story gutted me, but in a good way. The tears were flowing here.

Reclaiming the Sand has had everything I could want from the angst, drama and heartache. I felt tortured emotionally while I read, exactly like Ellie who is in a bad place. Ellie was brought up in the foster care system and always felt alone. She surrounds herself with bad influences and thinks she’ll amount to nothing. At sixteen she did an unspeakable crime and was sent away. Now at twenty-two the consequences of her actions still haunt her. She works at a dead end job and is still friends with her rebellious crowd from high school who bring her down. But then one day someone from her past comes back into her life. It’s Flynn, who has moved back into the house he lived with his mother when he was in high school. Flynn has never forgotten Ellie and still thinks of her as his friend, which confuses her. He should hate her for the abuse she put him through. Back in high school, Ellie and her friends were very cruel to Flynn because of his condition. But Ellie for some reason connected with Flynn and became friends with him in secret. Flynn sees things very black and white and in the literal sense. He’s blunt and to the point and rarely shows emotion. But with Ellie he’s different. But then one night his life comes crashing down and Ellie is taken from him.

Now seven years later, Flynn has returned and he reconnects with Ellie. Flynn is a successful artist and works at the local college Ellie is taking classes at. He’s on his own (both his parents are dead), much like Ellie, and he wants to put his roots down in the town that treated him so horribly. Ellie can’t understand why he would come back to this place she hates. Why would he want her in his life because she’s a train wreck and still lashes out at life in general? His reason doesn’t make sense to her, but as they begin to reestablish their friendship, she breaks down her emotional walls and wants to be the good person Flynn believes her to be. Ellie is still ashamed what she did to Flynn as a teenager, among other things, including a dark secret that if Flynn found out, may ruin what they now have. But she needs Flynn in her life because he’s stable, kind generous and sees the good in Ellie when she doesn’t.

Watching Flynn and Ellie become friends again and trust one another was like a balm on the soul. These two are total opposites who connect in so many ways, even though Ellie puts so many road blocks, which Flynn tears down. When Ellie realizes she loves Flynn, and she acts on her love, and he accepts it with open arms, watch out, because you may end up sobbing,

Meredith’s writing here tugs at your heart and makes your throat clog with emotion. The love scenes are emotional and beautiful. You feel as if Flynn and Ellie’s souls are merging with one another.

I felt the story would have work better if Ellie and Flynn were older because at times they didn’t act as if they were in their early twenties. Also some may grow frustrated at Ellie for her constant second guessing she does about herself and of Flynn. Also at times she has a rough personality, and the flashbacks showing her how she treated Flynn will make you want to smack her because she acts like a brat who thinks she deserves better because of the cards she was dealt in her life. But I left that slide because Meredith made Ellie and Flynn work so well together. The switching POVs are great and Flynn’s personality is extremely well written.

Reclaiming the Sand is a standalone novel, but I want a sequel because I didn’t want to say goodbye to Flynn and Ellie. I want to see them as a couple and that perfect HEA we all want in our romances (I want that white picket fence for these two and all that entails).

Reclaiming the Sand will claim your heart in its beauty that are Flynn and Ellie. If you read Colleen Mccullough’s Tim, you’ll want to read Reclaiming the Sand.

This is the first book of 2014 I read that goes under my “I want to have babies with” category.