katiebabs

Katiebabs Library of Books

Review: Unlit Star

Unlit Star - Lindy Zart

Unlit Star by Lindy Zart has a Nicholas Sparks feel to it, so if you’re a fan of Sparks’ romances, you’ll enjoy this book. Unfortunately for me, I had a big issue with Delilah, the main protagonist. Delilah has always been an outcast, or so we’re told because of her quirky fashion sense and outspoken nature. She is portrayed as a very cold and standoffish girl, who although was valedictorian of her high school, she hated studying and reading because she felt she had to succeed. She doesn’t have any real emotional connection to anyone, not even her mother. But for some reason, Rivers, the most popular student at Delilah’s school makes her take notice. He never treated her badly, unlike his girlfriend who was once Delilah’s best friend, who became her enemy because Delilah knows a dark secret Rivers’s girlfriend has. But the girlfriend is finished with Rivers because he has emotionally cut himself off from everyone because of a horrible accident. He cut up his leg because he fell off a boat.

The first half shows Delilah cleaning his parents’ house, and Rivers brooding around. Delilah can’t help but notice oh woes is me Rivers, and snarkly comments on is situation, but she can’t help but be attracted to this scarred, handsome boy who never noticed her in all the four years they went to high school together.

One day Rivers (his nickname, not his real name) tries to drown in backyard pool and Delilah saves him because he still has a future, unlike Delilah who’s running out of time. Why is Delilah running out of time? That is the major twist the reader needs to figure out. When they do, they should cry buckets of tears because Delilah finally has found a deep connection with someone- Rivers.

I wish I could say Unlit Star made me bawl like a baby, but I just couldn’t connect with Delilah and her issues that feel selfish and a bratty. Rivers is more like wallpaper here. His personality is very bland and a stereotypical love interest found in more new adult romances that Unlit Star tries to embody. The overall story didn’t engage me. I felt like there was something lacking that needed to add more depth to Delilah and Rivers’s relationship. When all was said and done, I just couldn’t believe these two developing such a bond that they would fall in love with one another. Also the tragic element didn’t really work for me. It felt added on just to bring forth an emotional response from the reader.

Unlit Star left me with a ho-hum reading experience. If you want to cry yourself silly over tragic young love, look elsewhere.